Friday, October 25, 2013

Where I'm From



Where I’m From

I am from a roll top desk full of closed drawers and covered with papers
   from a homemade Care Bear and MTV blaring on the television.
I am from a place where you walked on eggshells
   and spent hours separated, alone, and uncertain.
I am from a ponderosa pine
   whose height makes you feel small.
I am from overflowing ashtrays and pecking roosters
   from Gloria and Richard.
I am from loyalty and depression
   and from chronic fatigue syndrome
   from self doubt.
I am from Jesus, Mary, and Joseph.
I am from my grandmothers Betty and Frances
   from beans and noodles and cabbage rolls
   from women raising children on their own
   and from men hiding beer cans in the couch cushions.
I am from those moments of walking in the woods, toy gun pulled out in case of an emergency.

I am awakening.

6 comments: