Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Hard to keep my wits

Tesfu has taken to throwing shit (not literally) when he's pissed.  It's super not awesome.

Yesterday, at the table, he threw half of his granola bar across the table, across the living room, where it finally landed with a thud against the wall.  Once it fell down, he threw the second half.

Straight to the naughty step.

"Tesfu, you are sitting on the naughty step because you are not using your words when you're angry.  Instead, you are throwing things.  It is not okay.  We use our words.  Do you understand mommy?"

(in my head, it went more like this:  "I am hardly able to breathe right now.  HARDLY ABLE TO BREATHE.  Why are you throwing things?  Why can't you sit at the table and behave like a proper little boy?  Do you understand mommy?  I need you to behave like a proper little boy at the table!")

Later that day, he threw his trains.  Thomas and Gordon, to be specific.

Straight to the naughty step.

"Tesfu, you are sitting on the naughty step because you are not using your words when you're angry.  Instead, you are throwing things.  It is not okay.  We use our words.  Do you understand mommy?."

(in my head, it went more like this:  "SERIOUSLY?  I can't take this.  If you were to do this in front of anyone else I would be MORTIFIED.  Why are you doing this?  I've already told you to use your words.  And there was nothing wrong just there.  NOTHING.  I'm your BOSS.  Me.  Your mommy.  Do as I say!  DO AS I SAY!  Do you understand mommy?  I'm your boss and you must always do as I say!")

This morning he threw his toothbrush.  Out of the bathroom, down the hall, into the second bathroom (where did he get that arm?!).

Straight to the naughty step.  Same robot words from me.

"Tesfu, you are sitting on the naughty step because you are not using your words when you're angry.  Instead, you are throwing things.  It is not okay.  We use our words.  Do you understand mommy?"

(in my head, it went more like this:  "Tesfu.  I am about to lose my shit with you.  I am this fuggin' close.  If you don't stop throwing your shit everywhere, I will take everything away.  EVERYTHING AWAY.  DO YOU UNDERSTAND MOMMY?!")

Twenty minutes later, he threw his clothes down the staircase while shouting, "I am throwing my clothes because I am angry!  I'm using my words!  I am jealous and frustrated.  I'm DISAPPOINTED AT YOU MOMMY!"

In my head?  At least he's got the words down.  At least.

4 comments:

  1. at first i thought you meant he was literally throwing shit. so i was actually pleasantly surprised to learn that it was a granola bar. using words. yay for celebrating small victories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe I am with Kim- in the adoption world i hear about throwing real shit quite often...whew....and for the rest of my post you read my mind, or well my life here...Sam went through a major throwing stage...at one point i think he did it just to be manipulative. It went from throwing things out of anger/frustration to throwing things just to see what he could make mommy and daddy do. I got way more pissed off with the manipulation phase. Secondaly i am way excited for Tesfu's words(!) and his sarcastic understanding of his throwing issues... but i am sure it doesnt cease to be so frustrating. Sam went from a throwing phase to a profanity phase...maybe thats next for you :) Its kinda fun to hear him say "Oh Damn!!!!" or "what the hell??" which is usually as spicy as it gets here with the young ears,.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a step in the right direction, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blurg. There is redemption in that last paragraph, no?

    ReplyDelete